Friday, December 12, 2008

Notes From The Portland Auto Show

auto show_pdx_volvo_c30_01.jpgauto show_pdx_volvo_c30_02.jpg

The Portland Auto Show was going on over the weekend and I made my yearly trip to get an up close look at new models. Of course, it’s a very small show with no new concept cars, but it affords one the chance to see everything in one place. I have to say, this is a pretty boring year for cars. The only thing that really caught my eye, mainly from the rear, is the Volvo C30 (above). It’s a good looking little car and the interior is my vote for best in show. Super simple and clean. Quite a difference from where most manufacturers are these days.

As someone who may be in the market for a new car soon, there wasn’t much to whet my appetite. I still like the BMW 3 Series. And the new 1 Series looked better to me in person than in photos (but I still wish they were bringing the hatchback to the States). All in all, it made me want to keep my current car, a 1996 Audi A4, for a lot longer. My A4 is a great size car. On the small size by today’s standards, but I don’t care for larger models. The new A4 was on display (but you couldn’t sit in it) and it looks enormous. The car has grown with every new model introduction since mine, the new one being the third iteration since.

Overall, it makes me shake my head and wonder why these car companies can’t bring themselves to do much interesting in the way of design. Why isn’t someone really trying to do something different? What have the U.S. makers got to lose? The Mini Cooper has been around a long time now (even though the new Clubman is nice). The Honda Element has been around, too. As has the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Everything else just has a feeling of sameness to it.

The new Ford Flex was unexciting in person. It is such an imitation/variation of the Mini Cooper/Clubman, that Ford should be ashamed. And its interior is a horrible match to its exterior styling. Who makes these decisions at Ford?
Saturn is doing a decent job of creating a branded, family look between its vehicles, and it’s not a bad look, either.

That Chevy Malibu, though, is worse in person than in photos. I’ve already mentioned this, but having seen it in person, it is more a car you can ignore than one you can’t. Especially with the new, redesigned Honda Accord out there and the 2009 Mazda 6 on the horizon.

I still like Mazda’s lineup, but unfortunately did not see that upcoming new 6.

Jeep has problems. Unexciting line of vehicles from top to bottom aside from the classic Wrangler. Every time I see that Compass, I wonder how that front end made it through reviews and who signed off on it. And the new Dodge Nitro seems like it would be better with a Jeep badge on it (though it’s pretty darn Land Rover-ish).
The Infiniti lineup has long been a favorite of mine, but their new small sport ute is a disappointment. Looks way too similar to the new Hyundai.

Overall, Detroit has a big problem moving forward. The German brands seem to be setting the design standards and the Asian brands are doing a much better job of quickly following suit, with Detroit flailing off in left field somewhere. Left field is a fine place to be if you build a great car, but if you don’t, you’re better off playing follow the leader. That or settle for dwindling market share.

No comments: